Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metrolink Horn Question(Different Thread)

Default Metrolink Horn Question(Different Thread)

Why does metrolink use the sick stranggling duck horn compared to the nice
    K5LA which can be heard on ACE, Coaster, Tri-Rail, ect. cabcars. Why doesn't Metrolink use these horns?

Metrolink listens to the nimbies complain. Dead pepole killed by their noiseless whistles don't complain.
    Andy Jackson
    Downey CA

Hi F-59PHI,

First off, the horns on the F-59's on Metrolink generally have five horns. The sound is quite loud, but musical. So, NO complaints.

Second; your screen name has me puzzled. Metrolink F-59PHI's are in the high 800 series. The most notable is F-59 PHI # 887, which failed while it was pushing train # 317 on the San Bernardino Line into LAUS. So its sister engines would be in the 880 + numbers. Conductor Walker was most tolerant of the problem and we eventually did get to LAUS. I received a free trip another day as compensation.
    Regards, Alan J.

Alan,

458 is in the Amtrak series for F59PHIs.

CF

Hi Charles,

Just realized the last Amtrak engine that hauled my train was # 450. However, I thought we were talking about Metrolink. Safe to assume that the horns on Amtrak F-59 PHI's and Metrolink F-59 PHI's are the same.
    Regards, Alan J.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy View Post
    Safe to assume that the horns on Amtrak F-59 PHI's and Metrolink F-59 PHI's are the same.
    I dont think so. It is not safe to assume this. The Metrolink horns are squaky and the Amtrak ones are soothing, same engine, different paint, it all has to do with the railroads choice.
    I am no longer at the National Academy of Railroad Sciences. Too lazy to get my name changed.

27 yard. "YARD." Crossing the bridge, light. "Roger that, keep her coming."

Quote Originally Posted by F59PHI458 View Post
    Why does metrolink use the sick stranggling duck horn compared to the nice
    K5LA which can be heard on ACE, Coaster, Tri-Rail, ect. cabcars. Why doesn't Metrolink use these horns?
    Are you talking about the locomotive horn or the cabcar horn? I live literally next to the tracks and I can tell which end is coming by the tone.

While some sound different than others, none would be mistaken for anything other than a train.

What is the cabcar horn? Is it a K5LA. Even the ACE and GO trains(Two I've been on) sound more like an electronic version of a K5LA. The Surfliner I know doesn't because on my way back from Fullertion Railroad Days, I kindly asked the engineer if I could honk the horn. He said yeah and I did. I depends on the way you blow the horn. I also opened the window and heard it. IT'S A K5LA! TRUST ME! However, what about the more commuter type cabcars like ACE and GO. They sound more electronic.

Regards,
    Nick Williams

The real horns on both Metrolink and Amtrak Engines and Cab Cars are all K5LAs, Nick is right. Metrolink has defunct K5LAs however because neighborhoods (I think somewhere in Covina, if not all that surround Metrolink lines) were complaining about the noise. I think Metrolink even experimented with whistles once, like the ones used on the old trolley cars.

So now, the Metrolink K5LA horns are nothing more than bird catchers

And the Amtrak K5LAs on the F59PHI's aren't very good either. They also squawk and crack pitches due to the fact that they sit right behind the exhaust vent underneath a carbody piece, where all that heat and dirt gathers The best K5LAs in my opinion are on the GO transit Cab cars
    The Fast Dash 9

So are those bell-looking things on the roofs of the cab cars real bells? That surprises me, because AFAIK, all of the GPs I worked on last summer had electronic bells--and some of them made a hilarious digital broken sound that was supposed to pass for a bell. (I think the newer SD70MACs had electronic bells, but maybe they had real bells down by the front trucks or somewhere--they all sounded pretty real to me.) But for there to be an actual bell sitting on top of the cab on the Metrolink cab car seems strange and out of place (to me, at least).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information